Improve Your SEO with These Tips
The best way of getting noticed online nowadays is through search engine optimisation or SEO. While everyone is aware of the term SEO, not many are clear on how it can benefit one’s business. Here, we will attempt to identify some known and some overlooked tips and techniques of SEO. While this may not be an exhaustive list, following it can still help you beat the competition and accomplish success in your venture.
Content is King
“Content is king” is an often-repeated adage among those implementing SEO techniques, ever since Bill Gates coined the phrase.
It is indeed the key to effective SEO and without engaging content, it is hard to generate online traffic for your business. The days when content writing and focus keywords were the only way to attract attention is, however, past.
Nowadays, written as well as video content are optimised with rewarding results. In some cases, embedding a video is considered a crucial strategy because people often don’t have time to read the content but viewing is easy and appeals better.
SEO-friendly content writing
The importance of high-quality content cannot be emphasised enough. If you can ensure this, it would reflect in higher CTR (click-through rate) for your webpage. This, in turn, will mean better page ranking, more visibility and greater scope of maximising profit margin. So, what is the secret of SEO-friendly content writing? Let’s find out.
Content writing can be of different types – technical writing, research and report writing, feature and business writing, press release, blog post, ghost-writing and copywriting. The scope and structure of writing are distinct for each type.
It is thus essential to identify the nature of the content and adopt the definitive style of writing it for maximum impact on the reader.
- Everyone talks about the importance of keywords and phrases as the key to quality content. Choosing them judiciously is indeed vital. However, one thing that often gets overlooked is breaking down long-form content into paragraphs and multiple sections using sub-headings and bullet points. This helps easy readability and when readers can skim through the content smoothly, it creates the desired impact by attracting their attention and holding their interest.
- SEO-friendly content needs to be ranked high in search results to garner interest. It was once the case that writing lengthy articles interspersed with a high dose of keywords used to be a successful ploy. Modern technique dictates optimising the length of articles for best result. While too short content may not be ideal, depending on the type of writing, using too many words to pad up the content is ill-advised, as it can water down the impact on the reader.
The idea of video SEO or using video content to target your audience and get their attention is not new. Reading can be monotonous after some time, but the dynamic value a video adds to content with its audio-visual way of engaging the viewer creates a lasting impression. But do you know how to utilise the powerful impact of video content to aid your SEO strategy?
The scope of your content should determine the video hosting platform you use. So, if you want only to increase your brand awareness, the more common platforms like YouTube and Vimeo are very helpful.
- One thing to remember is that search engine bots can only read a text and the impact of a good video is lost on them. Therefore, adding a video transcript can better help your content get indexed and picked as top search results. Also, for your audience, a video with a transcript is always more attractive.
- Before even a viewer watches video content, it is the thumbnail that creates the first impression of likeability. It is thus imperative to have a catchy thumbnail image for your video that is relevant and compels our audience to click on it to learn more.
- A trick often missed by people using video SEO is to add appropriate title and description, and make it the primary focus of the page. Also, it is not advisable to feature multiple videos on the same page, as it dilutes the impact of the content.